Tools
Search
Login

First Unitarian Church of Baltimore

Our Buildings

Sanctuary_from_Front

Originally called "The First Independent Church of Baltimore," our church has the distinction of being the oldest building in the United States built for, and used ever since by, a Unitarian congregation.

Built in 1818 by Maximilian Godefroy, the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore is recognized as the finest American example of French Romanitc Classicism.  Godefry also designed Baltimore's St. Mary's Seminary Chapel and Battle MonumentA daring modern design when it was constructed, the building utilizes the basic shapes of the cube and the sphere with a minimum of detail on the flat planes to emphasize the geometry of the structure.  In the late 19th century, major reconstruction of the interior of the sanctuary was undertaken, when a barrel-vaulted ceiling, a Tiffany mosaic and six windows and a magnificent Niemann organ were added.  Joseph E. Sperry--the architect of Baltimore's iconic Bromo-Seltzer Arts Tower--designed the ceiling. 

Antonio Capellano made the original terra cotta relief, Angel of Truth, on the front of the church. The Greek inscription on the scroll translates "To the One God." Noted Baltimore sculptor, Henry Berge (1908-1998), constructed a replica of the Angel of Truth in the late 1950s to replace the decayed original.

Channing_Pulpit

It was from our pulpit on May 5, 1819 that William Ellery Channing (1780-1842) delivered the pivotal Baltimore Sermon, staking out the theological claims of the soon-to-emerge Unitarian denomination in America. Several years ago, members rennovated the pulpit.

Pratt_Hall_Outside

The parish hall was donated by prominent member and philanthropist Enoch Pratt in 1879.  The bricks were salvaged from Mulberry Street row houses that were demolished to make way for the Enoch Pratt Free Libary.  In 2008, the parish hall was renamed Enoch Pratt Parish Hall in his honor.  Today, the hall is being restored to its original glory, with hand-made, period chandelliers and special paint treatments that reflect the room's original style, while paying homage to historic church members.

Enoch Pratt also donated the Niemann organ, which sits boldly in the choir loft. The organ is being restored, bit by bit.

More in this category: Notable First Unitarians »

Main Menu

Home
Church Family
Voices
Giving
Happenings
Facility Rentals
About Us

Building and Grounds events

Contact Information

On the Map: 12 W. Franklin St:
Corner of Charles and Franklin Streets in Downtown Baltimore

Mailing address: 
1 W Hamilton St,
Baltimore, Maryland 21201 

Hours: Tues-Fri,  10 - 3:30
Phone: 410-685-2330 
Fax: 410-685-4133 
Office E-mail

Newsletter Sign-up

Happenings (Weekly Newsletter)

The Beacon


RE-Connect


Minister's Blog

Pledge Here

Make a Donation or Pledge Payment

Find us around the Web

FacebookFlickrGoogleStumbleuponYoutube

Shop Amazon and help the church

When you use this button to make a purchase from Amazon, a small percentage of your purchase price will go directly to First Unitarian Church of Baltimore.

buyfromamazon

Our Connections