March 12 – April 9
What are Mystery Buddies?
In this fun intergenerational program, kids and adults or youth are matched in Mystery Buddy pairs, with the goal of getting to know a little more about each other every week until identities are revealed on April 9th. Adults, youth and kids who sign up to participate will choose a mystery nickname, fill out the questionnaire below and decorate a mailbag. Pairs will exchange clues each Sunday March 12 through April 9th (see below for some ideas).
How does it work?
Every Sunday before service, mailbags will be out by the front doors of the church, ready to accept letters and small homemade items (suggestions below) from both older and younger participants. After service begins, mailbags will be moved to the Parish Hall for coffee hour when participants can check their mailbags for that weeks’ clue. On April 9th Mystery Buddy identities will be discovered!
Who can participate?
Anyone under the age of 18 can be a “younger” buddy and anyone over 12 can be an “older” buddy (youth can choose to be an older or a younger). All participants are asked to exchange at least a little clue each of the four weeks (either in person or by proxy—just let RE Chair Molly Ruhlman, know if you will miss a week).
Mystery Buddy Clue Ideas
Feel free to use any of these or your own creativity to craft clues to your identity. Remember that there will be four weeks of clues (March 12, 19, 26, April 22) and a final note exchange and reveal on April 9th.
• a picture or photo of your pet (past or present) and a note about him or her
• a letter with some clues about yourself and what you like about Unitarian Universalism
• a picture or map of the town where you were born
• found objects like shells or pebbles and a little story about where or how you found them
• a postcard from a place you enjoyed visiting or living
• a word search with hidden words that describe you or your hobbies
• a list or picture of some of your favorite foods and maybe a simple recipe on how to make one of them
• a homemade cookie and a note about when or how you learned to make them, or maybe a story or picture about who taught you to bake
• a mix tape or CD of some of your favorite music
• a handmade bookmark with words or pictures about your favorite books or characters
Sign up by sending the following information for each participant to firstname.lastname@example.org. Molly will respond with the code name of your mystery buddy. Bring your first clue this Sunday March 12th!
- Your Name
- A Mystery Code Name (you choose, be creative!)
- Email address
- Phone number
- Age (Children under 12 will automatically be “younger” buddies; Adults over 18 will automatically be “older” buddies. But youth in between can choose. If you are between 12 and 18, please indicate if you would like to be an ‘older’ pal or a ‘younger’ pal
And please let us know a little about you (These answers will help us make matches and are also ideas about things you might include in clues to your buddy!)
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- How long have you been involved with this church?
- What are three words that describe you?
- What is/was your favorite subject in school and why?