Twelve participants gathered last night for the first session of our New UU Class, led by Rev. David Carl Olson and Director of Lifespan Religious Education, Becky Brooks. Our class is adapted from a new curriculum in the Tapestry of Faith series from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA). A copy of the original New UU curriculum is available online, as are other titles in the series. In our class we examined what Unitarian Universalist worship looks like in our congregation and discussed what elements we connect with and donâ€™t. We heard an excerpt from Forrest Churchâ€™s Cathedral of the World and spent some time thinking, drawing, writing and sharing our thoughts on his metaphor. We also shared from our own histories and thoughts and look forward to more conversation as the class continues.
Each week we will post a bibliography related to the previous sessionâ€™s topic. The following are some books and other resources that you might be interested in. These titles and others can be ordered at the UUA Bookstore or through your favorite bookseller.
- 100 Questions that Non-Members Ask about Unitarian Universalism by John Sias (or read online here)
- â€œKeep the Circle Whole: The Challenge of Unitarian Universalist Theology,â€ a sermon by Rebecca Ann Parker. Read online here.
- Worship That Works: Theory and Practice for Unitarian Universalists by Wayne Arnason and Kathleen Rolenz (or read online here)
- â€œChanging the Words: An Historical Introduction to Unitarian Universalist Hymnody,â€ a paper by Jason Shelton (read online here)
- Our Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism by Forrest Church and John Buehrens
- Our Seven Principles in Story and Verse: A Collection for Children and Adults by Kenneth W. Collier
- Blessing the World: What Can Save Us Now by Rebecca Ann Parker
- Everyday Spiritual Practice: Simple Pathways for Enriching Your Life by Scott W. Alexander
- Freethinking Mystics with Hands: Exploring the Heart of Unitarian Universalism by Tom Owen-Towle
- Reason and Reverence: Religious Humanism for the 21st Century by William R. Murry
- The Essential James Luther Adams: Selected Essays and Addresses by James Luther Adams
- Becoming More Fully Human: Religious Humanism as a Way of Life by William R. Murry
- A Manual of Worship: Insights from Over 50 Years as a Unitarian Universalist Minister by Frank Schulman
Also check out http://www.uua.org/ for videos and other resources on Unitarian Universalism.